Natural skin care products have come a long way in recent years; they have become increasingly popular with consumers, with plenty of options currently available in the market.
But - how do you define ‘’natural’’? There are a wide range of interpretations within the skin care industry, and consumers can get confused, the same confusion also applies to ‘’organic’’ products.
What is the correct definition of ‘’natural’’ and ‘’organic’’ products in the skin care industry? Read more to find out.
What is a natural product?
Natural skin care products do not have a standard definition. Any product that contains any amount of natural ingredients technically can be called a natural product. The question should perhaps be, ‘’how natural?’’ This would require a fair bit of knowledge about skincare ingredients, which is not practicable for most consumers.
What is an organic product?
A product must contain at least 70% organic ingredients (exclude water and salt) before it can be called an organic product. The remaining 30% can be anything but normally they should be as safe and natural as possible.
What is a certified product?
In order to provide some standards which consumers can easily refer to and trust, more and more skincare brands are seeking certification from competent certifying bodies to authenticate their natural/organic products with a ‘’certified’’ label.
A product certified as natural or organic by a competent body is called a ‘’certified natural’’ or ‘’certified organic’’ product. Different certification bodies have different criteria with regards to the composition of ingredients, and there are also different types of certification from certifying the complete product to certifying the percentage of natural and organic ingredients in the product.
An official ‘’certified’’ label does not tell you the whole story, you will still need to read the contents of the certification to get a complete picture.
Certified products are generally more costly than non-certified products, as certification is a very costly process and practice. Consumers must be aware of this fact and be prepared to pay more for certified products.
Who are the common certifying bodies?
There are many certifying bodies for natural and organic skincare products, some of them are governmental bodies whilst some are commercial entities. Among the more commonly used are: USDA in USA, BDIH in Germany, ACO in Australia, Biogro in New Zealand, Soil Association in UK, and Eco Cert, QAI, Natrue and Cosmos for international markets.
The Made with Love Vision & Philosophy
The vision is to create skin care products that nourish your skin naturally and are handcrafted in small batches using the finest ingredients and pure essential oils for their aromas and healing properties. We want to keep you updated on new, natural ingredients and how they will positively affect the health of you, your family and community. Who said body care products have to be massed produced to sit on a shelf for years and years?
Your skin is a living, breathing organ and absorbs what you put on it. Our mission is to make you aware of what you put on it may have an impact on your health and environment and to give you a better option to take care of your health.
OUR PHILOSOPHY & COMMITMENT:
- Creating 100% handcrafted body care products with our own recipes on premises. We do not purchase pre-made bases and then add fragrances and call it "handcrafted". We make our own herbal-infused olive oils. Our beeswax comes from Honeybrook Farms in Pine Bush.
- We use high quality oils like olive, jojoba, coconut, grapeseed and sea buckthorn to name a few. Herbal-infused oils like arnica, St. johnswort and calendula are crafted on-site. We don't use low grade oils like safflower, soybean, mineral or petroleum in our products.
- Our product's aromas are created through the science of aromatherapy, pure essential oils. Pure essential oils are used not only for their wonderful fragrances but also for their medicinal properties. On occasion, we do use phthalate-free fragrance oils due to prohibitive costs and plant species in danger of extinction like the sandalwood and rosewood trees.
- Our products are gluten free, petroleum free, paraben free, soy free. Some are vegan.
- Most of our products come in glass. It doesn't leech into the products like plastic containers.
Because we do not use toxic chemical preservatives our crèmes are meant to be used, not kept on a shelf for years. Our products are carefully and lovingly handmade in small batches to ensure freshness and effectiveness. We do use a naturally occurring fermented radish root extract as a natural preservative. You can refrigerate crèmes when not using to lengthen their shelf life. Face and body crèmes, sugar scrubs do have an 8 – 12 month shelf life. Body butters, therapeutic balms, room sprays, bath salts can last up to 2 years.
I hope this help clear up any confusion!
If you have any questions, please comment below: